Subject: Collacott, South Milton
NGR: SX 6980 4270
The site is likely to date from at least the C15 on architectural evidence, but the earliest dated reference to Collacott as a place was in 1571, when a John Hengeston de Colacote was listed in a taxation list. He was still there in 1573, when he paid a bond of £10 on a legal transaction with the South Milton Feoffees. The farm does not appear to have been large, the South Milton Tithe Map of 1839 recording just over 30 acres.
A medium-sized developed farmhouse with a double courtyard plan, stepping down a steep valley slope on the south-west side of South Milton village.
Irregular U plan with two room cross-passage house to south, behind a small outer court. Two-storeys with low parlour wing to west, projecting oriel to east and central single storey porch. Rear two-storeyed range on site of former detached kitchen, rebuilt as farmhouse in C19. Linked to main range at west end with small link wing forming two-storey lodgings range with large chimney stack.
1C15 or earlier. Probable three room and cross-passage house, incorporating existing gothic front door frame. 2c.1560-1610. Main range remodelled with lateral chimney stack, plank & muntin screen between cross-passage and lower room. Fine carved hall ceiling inserted, with rear wall of hall rebuilt in stone. Rear door to cross-passage replaced, with adjoining stair turret to west. 3c.1610-1640. Storeyed oriel added to front wall of hall and adjoining fireplace modified. Lower room at west end incorporated in two-cell residential wing, projecting to north. Period 2 stair turret incorporated in wing. Possible detached kitchen parallel with hall range to north. 4c.1640-1660. Parlour wing added to south-west of main range. Porch added to front of main range. 5c.1700-1750. Main range roof reconstructed. 6c.1780-1830. Rear range rebuilt as replacement farmhouse, connecting with north-west wing. Main range and wings probably became service buildings, eastern room of main range probably demolished.
This is a very interesting house, with a complex development. The initial site visit was inadequate to fully understand it, but the lack of datable roof structures and considerable internal modernisation makes it difficult to obtain exact information about its dating.